Questions? Concerns? Special Orders? Email your coordinating Committee.

Monday, May 28, 2007

CSA Tip: Strawberries

Every once in a while, I'll post recipes and tips for using your produce. By far, the most asked questions I get a pick up are: (1) What is this? and (2) How do I prepare this?

Have strawberries left over? I've found a couple ways to prepare strawberries that are just fantastic. I've used both ideas below with CSA strawberries I froze last season and the inferior grocery-store ones, too.

Roasted Strawberries: Yes. Roasted. They are delicious! Take the strawberries and put them in the oven in a small crock. I roast them at 375 degrees for a couple hours, stirring them every half hour or so. They sweeten and caramelize a little. You can add a little sugar or honey for more sweetness if you want. I've used roasted strawberries as a topping for ice cream or shortcakes. Last summer I even made a homemade roasted strawberry ice cream that was incredible. I just substituted the roasted (and cooled) ones for fresh called for in the recipe. Best strawberry ice cream I ever had...

Strawberry-Honey Refrigerator Jam: Even faster. I'm making this tonight with this week's strawberries. Throw hulled strawberries and some honey to taste in a pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly. Delicious jam! Keep it covered in the refrigerator. It won't keep long, but you'll eat so quickly it won't matter!

When you have great tips or recipes to share, email us at irvingtonagriculture@gmail.com so we can post it for the other shareholders.

Christopher

No comments: