Questions? Concerns? Special Orders? Email your coordinating Committee.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Whole, Organic Milk Could Be Available. Interested?

Good day, folks. I hope you are well.

I received a call today from another CSA farmer, Melvin Fisher, who wondered if our group may be interested in whole, organic milk, cream, and yogurt from his farm. I discussed it with him a little, and I told him I'd throw it out for discussion and see what happens.

Here's what I know:
  • He said the cows are organic but not certified organic. The rest of his farm is certified. The cows are grass fed and hormone free, etc.
  • It is against the law to sell milk like this in Indiana. The loophole he takes advantage of is that you can get milk from your own cow and consume it. As such, those interested in milk have to buy into the herd ($75) and purchase the milk products on top of that. Only those herd owners can order the milk products. When one stops getting milk from him, he will buy back the share. I understand this is pretty common. I've heard of these arrangements before and not from the farmer.
  • It may be possible for the milk to be delivered on the same day as the CSA veggies for convenient pick up; those getting milk would have to be responsible for any increases in transportation fees we incur, though. If delivery is on a different day, the milk could come on a truck that goes to Avon, Westfield, and Bloomington already, adding an Irvington stop. I would likely not be open to having delivery at my house if delivery and pick up are not on Saturday during the existing CSA times.
  • There would be some infrastructure needed. We have refrigeration in my garage, but it really is needed for the eggs, chickens, and such. We may not have room for all of the milk products. We'd have to get coolers or some other thing to supplement.
  • I would see this as separate from the current CSA. I'd be happy to help you get going, but I don't have time or interest, really, (Just try to get me to drink ANY milk!) to coordinate this. I assume coordination would be similar to CSA but with a smaller group, including registration, communication, getting updates and such from the farmer, placing orders with the farmer, collecting payment, and dealing with unclaimed orders, etc.
  • If there is a group who is interested, I'll pass along contact information and such so you can start discussions with the farmer.
  • I'd be happy to help you with the communication tools we use for the CSA now: blog, email, document sharing, etc. and help you link from the existing CSA resources.
  • If there is a group interested, I'll keep you posted on my thinking, but: I do need to do some more thinking regarding my risk on this. I have some reservations regarding the distribution at my house. I know absolutely nothing about safety or other issues involved with these products. While I assume there wouldn't be any safety issues, I don't want to lose my house over someone getting sick or something. Any of the many lawyers in the group want to give me some ideas?
All that said, please let me know at irvingtonagriculture@gmail.com if you are interested. If there's interest and a coordinator emerges, I'll get you on the road!

Christopher

No comments: