Questions? Concerns? Special Orders? Email your coordinating Committee.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Your questions finally answered

I've had some serious catching up to do as work has been very, very busy and I've had some significant family and volunteer responsibilities recently. Forgive my delay and bear with me on my long responses to some recent questions...

First, I hope you're enjoying the season. I'm loving it. Great food. Great neighbors to talk with each week... I wonder if any of you -- like me -- are starting to feel the (good) burn of a lot of produce to process, learn recipes for, cook, enjoy, and share.

Answers to a few questions that've come up regarding the CSA and pick-up in the past couple weeks:
  • You may still pick up until 3. We're just pre-packing shares and releasing volunteers at 2 or earlier. The Myers-Nunn's or one of the committee members will tend the site until 3. Our change to pre-packed shares at 2 allows us to clean the site earlier and to release volunteers (you) an hour to an hour-and-a-half earlier. Please, rest assured you're still welcome until 3.
  • We are still surrendering shares at 3. Please, feel free to email us if you have an occasional special need that can't be overcome. We've yet to come up with a situation on which we couldn't work with the shareholder. Note, though, that several people tend the email. Emails sent late Friday through Saturday may not be noticed before the surrender happens.
  • There have been surrendered shares each week thus far. I hate to let any CSA produce go to waste, but I have limited time to distribute the produce to others or preserve it for my own family. Please know you are welcome to visit the site at 3 to claim surrendered shares. I've had a few non-CSA members stop in recently for surrendered food, but I'm really committed to distribution among shareholders. Please help me out: come on by and pick up your stuff and, if you want more, come back by at 3. We just might have some left!
  • By all means, you may have someone else pick up for you. We're more than happy to accommodate your needs. If you are out of town or can't make it, feel free to share your crop with a friend or family member. They'll love you for it!
  • This week, the fern-looking thing was fennel. The bulb was kohlrabi. Fresh fennel is new to me, but I'm nuts about kohlrabi. Kohlrabi is one of the many cultivars of wild kale I wrote about in an earlier post (The First Broccoli). It is truly one of the treats of the summer at my house. We eat it raw usually, but I've been thinking of cooking it and making a variation on colcannon this week.
I think that's it. Let me know if I've missed a recent question of yours.

Enjoy your day.

--Christopher

No comments: